Thursday, March 7, 2013

Walking a Fine Line

Today was one of the appointments I was nervous about. I really need to just friggin' relax and take them on.

I met with Jill the nutritionist. I was a little wary of what she was going to say, but as it turns out, it was a mostly positive experience. She flipped through my food log to see what I'd been up to. When I knew that I was going to start this process, I knew that I would see a nutritionist. I also knew that when I did, she'd ask me to start keeping a food journal (just like I did when I started seeing Hillary) and so I decided to get a jump on her and start early. She was impressed by that. On top of the food logging, I also decided to keep a journal of the excessive that I got each day. Not so much for her to see, but for me to keep track of. What I did learn is that while I'm eating pretty healthily, I am not getting anywhere near enough protein which is why I'm so hungry and crabby all the time, and also why I've had a gain in the past 6 months. She recommended that I put my chicken's newly found talent of laying eggs to good use and to eat a couple of eggs every morning. I can also add in cheese. That comes as a major score in my mind, because cheese is one of my favorite things in the whole wide world.

The only thing I was not so excited about was the idea of meal-replacement shakes. She mentioned that I might want to consider looking into protein shakes as another option for lunches or breakfasts. Mostly because maybe I'd get bored with them or not actually feel un-hungerfied. Plus, the idea of a shake, just doesn't appeal to me. I can have some fruit and whatnot on the side. I'm willing to do whatever she says to help me get to that 10% number. If she wrote me an Rx for fen-fen.. I'd probably take them.

The other thing that she was impressed by was my biking and swimming. I'm not exactly olympic level on either of them, but I am doing them every day. She said that it was great, but if I could push myself a little farther, it would make all the difference.

She said to add walking to the regime. When my appointment ended, it was much earlier than I'd expected. I went down to the Au Bon Pain in the Tufts lobby, and had the most delicious egg and cheese breakfast sandwich ever, then decided to get going on the walking. If you're not in the New England area, then you should know that today we were hit with a "major nor'easter". After the blizzard that blew through earlier this winter, this seemed like peanuts. Downtown Boston is a beautiful place, even more so when fluffy snowflakes are falling. I decided that I would walk from Tufts to Downtown Crossing. When I got there, I was still far ahead of schedule on the time before I had to go to work so I decided to walk further to Government Center. That distance is about 0.9MI. Not too far, but not too shabby either. Then later on after work, I *almost* hailed a cab since it was night time, still snowing, and cold. Not to mention I'd been heavily puddle splashed by three cars that afternoon. I decided to walk the 1.2 miles home. Just like that afternoon, It was a really pretty walk. Everything was blanketed by pretty snow, and honestly, it didn't seem that far once I arrived home.

As I sit here typing now, my knees hurt a bit, but it was definitely worth it. I'm looking forward to spring so I can take the dog with me on these trips. She's a pain, but might be nice company.

No comments:

Post a Comment